What are some examples of interspecific competition
What is the difference between interspecific and intraspecific competition
TheMain difference between interspecific and intraspecific competition is that the Interspecific competition is competition between members of different species for common resources, while intraspecific competition is competition between members of the same species for limited resources.
Interspecific and intraspecific competition are two types of ecological interactions between living organisms to meet basic life requirements. Examples of interspecific competition include finding mating partners, dominance competition, and competition for territory, while examples of intraspecific competition are competition for food, nutrients, space, or territory.
1. What is interspecific competition?
- Definition, types, meaning
2. What is an in-specific competition?
- Definition, types, meaning
3. What are the similarities between interspecific and intraspecific competition?
- Overview of common functions
4. What is the difference between interspecific and intraspecific competition?
– Comparison of the main differences
Exploitative competition, interference competition, interspecific competition, intraspecific competition, population dynamics
What is Interspecific Competition?
Interspecific competition is the competition that takes place between different species in the same ecological area. The competition takes place for limited resources such as food, light, water and territory. Based on the mechanism, two types of interspecific competition patterns between the species can be identified. You are:
- Exploitative competition - Here the use of one type of limited resource by a certain type makes the resource unavailable for the second type of competition.
- Interference competition - It is the direct interaction of different types with resources.
Figure 1: Competition between Panthera Leo and Crocuta crocuta
There are two other types of interspecific competition based on outcome.
- Scramble competition - Here the types of competition are equally suppressed by the competition and the result can either be the reduction in survival or the birth rate.
- Competitive competition - One or a few competitors are not affected here, while all other competitors are seriously affected.
What is intraspecific competition
Intraspecific competition is the competition between members of the same species for limited resources in the same ecological area. It depends on the density of the population and the influence of this type of competition is great in a very dense population. More importantly, it is one of the main driving forces behind evolution as it changes population dynamics such as population size and composition. Only those individuals who are best suited for the environment can survive here.
Figure 2: Male Hartebeest vigorously defend their territories
Just like the interspecific competition, the intraspecific competition can also be divided into exploitative competition, interference competition, scramble competition and competitive competition. Exploitation competition occurs when the members compete indirectly with each other, while interference competition occurs when the members compete directly. The most dramatic form of interspecific competition takes place among colleagues.
Similarities between interspecific and intraspecific competition
- Interspecific and intraspecific competition are two types of symbiotic relationships between species in an ecological area.
- They arise due to the limited resources in this ecological area such as food, comrades and territory.
- Both depend on the population density.
- Both types of competition can lead to evolution.
Difference between interspecific and intraspecific competition
Interspecific competition refers to some form of competition between different species living in the same ecological area, while intraspecific competition refers to competition for resources between members of the same species.
The competition in interspecific competition takes place between members of different species, while the competition in intraspecific competition takes place between members of the same species. This is the main difference between interspecific and intraspecific competition.
Interspecific competition also occurs between individuals with different adaptations, while intraspecific competition occurs between individuals with similar adaptations.
Another difference between interspecific and intraspecific competition is the reason for the competition. Interspecific competition occurs for a particular requirement, while intraspecific competition occurs for all kinds of requirements of the kind.
An important difference between interspecific and intraspecific competition is the effect of competition. Interspecific competition can suppress either species or one species, while intraspecific competition directly affects population size and composition.
Severity of the effect
The effect of the interspecific interaction is not very strong, while the effect of the intraspecific interaction can be severe.
Examples of interspecific competition include competition between lions and tigers for similar prey and weeds that grow with the paddy, while some examples of intraspecific competition include mating partner, territorial competition, and dominance competition between members of the same species.
Interspecific competition is competition between members of the different species for either food or territory, while intraspecific interaction is competition between members of the same species for territory, food, and mating. The main difference between interspecific and intraspecific competition is the type of members involved in the competition.
1. "Interspecific competition: definition, examples and much more." ScienceStruck, ScienceStruck, March 26, 2018,
- Which guitar tips beginners mostly ignore
- Why are there no fossils on Mars
- Is Germany cheaper than Great Britain
- Real analysis is used in math
- What is the Hindi name of Chiaseed
- How does data collection affect data analysis
- How can I create my eLearning portal
- Can you choke if you choke by the water?
- Money gives confidence
- Is upGrad rating good or bad
- Why was Barney Friends canceled
- Is Samsung better than Huawei
- What is your favorite German dish with seafood?
- What is the reason for the stagnant productivity in Singapore
- Is bitter gourd good for blood pressure?
- What are the national goals of education
- What is the use of B2B lists
- What is sin x cos x
- Is everything made of nothing 1
- Why is there social media marketing
- What does eating sashimi do
- Why do uneducated people despise educated people?
- How to say want in Chinese
- Will kill TikTok Instagram
- How to Monetize YouTube Videos
- Why are local television productions in Singapore boring
- English is your second language
- Flying flamingos
- How many billionaires are there in Indonesia?
- Enjoy watching Donald Trump's hair
- Has anyone had any success selling LulaRoe
- Have you ever dated a rich person
- Is Zynga a bit above Huizinga