Can Manta Rays hurt you
OfRobert A. Barish
, MD, MBA, University of Illinois at Chicago;
, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, LSU Health Sciences Center Shreveport
Stingrays contain a poison in the sting, which is on the back of their tail. Injuries usually occur when someone steps on a stingray (which is often buried in the sand) while wading in the shallow sea spray. The animal uses its tail fin to push the stinger into the victim's foot or leg, releasing poison in the process. Parts of the spiked sheath can remain in the wound and increase the risk of infection.
A stinging sting wound wound is usually jagged and bleeding profusely. The pain starts immediately and is severe, but gradually subsides within 6 to 48 hours. Many people with these wounds experience fainting, weakness, nausea, and anxiety. Vomiting, diarrhea, sweating, severe convulsions, difficulty breathing and death are less common.
First rinse with salt water
Care of the wound by a doctor and removal of the sting remnants
Injuries to the arms or legs caused by a stingray should be gently rinsed with salt water as first aid so that the remnants of the tail spine may be washed out in this way. The stinger should only be removed if it is on the surface of the skin and has not entered the neck, chest, or abdomen. Heavy bleeding should be reduced by applying direct pressure.
In the emergency room, doctors examine the wound and remove any fragments of the sting. A tetanus vaccination may be required. The injured arm or leg should be kept high for several days. Some injured people are given antibiotics and may need surgery to close the wound.
- What is more difficult rocket science or theoretical physics
- Is life really easy for white Americans?
- E-mail addresses can be blocked
- Federal minimum wage is legal slavery
- How can I create a meaningful blog
- How do I solve by probability
- Who created evolution, God or Charles Darwin
- Is TQWL 3 confirmed
- What inspired you to work online
- Organic does not mean GMO
- How can I export goods from Pakistan
- Can the dead see us
- What is Malaysia famous for
- How can I run 4 km fast
- Which game console has the best setup
- How can I make friends with autism
- Soldiers used body protection during World War II
- How can I have more presence
- Are the Japanese descended from Koreans?
- Which franchisees treat their franchisees worst
- Depression can cause you to go crazy
- Is Samsung better than Huawei
- What Christmas cookies are never eaten
- Which diet works best for treating diabetes