Why aren't Quora responses organized through upvotes
Starmind: For everyone who wants to use Quora in German
Starmind is a question-and-answer platform that, like Quora, places high demands on its members. In contrast to the US service, the startup's offer from near Zurich is also aimed at German-speaking users.
When the question-and-answer community Quora was suddenly on everyone's lips at the turn of the year and was also discovered by inquisitive users from German-speaking countries, the general enthusiasm was also mixed with criticism about the fact that the US platform only answered in English may. For everyone who sees this as an obstacle and unpleasant limitation, there is an alternative with Starmind.
The service, located in Meilen near Zurich, has existed for two years, but has recently adjusted its functionality and thus moved much closer to the basic concept of Quora: a community of competent people who ask and answer questions - primarily in German (but English content is also accepted).
Similar to Quora, the platform developed by Marc Vontobel and Pascal Kaufmann at the Institute for Computer Science at the University of Zurich relies on the principle of cohesion to ensure the highest possible quality, which is also the fundamental differentiator to numerous other question-and-answer services: Starmind can only be actively used by those who have an invitation. Existing members only receive these after they have reached a certain activity level.
Further parallels to Quora can be found in the possibility of evaluating answers through an "upvote" or "downvote" as well as in that the focus tends to be on academic topics and less on everyday banalities.
In contrast to Quora, Starmind does without a complex follower principle. However, individual subject areas can be subscribed to. In addition, all new, the best rated, most viewed or simply all unanswered questions can be displayed. It is also possible to navigate through subject areas, from the Internet to philosophy to biology. Contents published by Starmind are (with a few specific exceptions) also accessible to non-members (e.g. here).
Users receive points for activity on the site. The more you collect, the higher you climb the internal Starmind career ladder. Every newly registered member begins as a trainee and can then become a "partner" after moving through six other positions. 120,000 points are required for this. A leaderboard gives an overview of the most renowned Starmind users.
By reaching a new level in the Starmind hierarchy, users receive additional rights. In order to be able to invite friends to the service, you have to have assistant status, for example. Up- and downvoting is only possible from this position, which is why new members only have to ask or answer questions.
Anyone who wants to use the know-how of the Starmind community can either use a free community question or a so-called management question publish. The latter costs at least five euros and allows the respondents to be restricted to the status of "Junior Manager" or higher, includes an application mechanism for respondents and encourages private responses to come to light. The motivation of other users to participate in finding solutions to management questions: You can earn money yourself with qualitative answers.
Starmind is nicely designed and the user guidance is also well done. There also seems to be a hard core of regular users, which increases the incentive for new users to participate (nothing is worse than being in a virtual ghost town).
The strongly hierarchical approach is a matter of taste. I like the democratic principle of Quora better, where there are no "better off" with corresponding privileges. On the other hand, the different approach qualifies Starmind as a serious, alternative question-answer platform that is more than just "Quora in German".
In order to register with Starmind, you need an invitation as mentioned. You either leave your email address at starmind.com/de in order to receive an invitation one day, or you use this campaign link, which requires registration via your Facebook account and currently works without any restrictions.
Update: Starmind kindly provides us / you with 20 invitations:
Code: 3D88 8DB1 C053
- How is a corporate salary determined
- What companies fail
- Where can audio files be stored online
- Is clapping normal in the workplace
- What is the reason for your beauty
- Is 200 blood sugar normal after eating
- Can you drink too much water
- How do I compliment my girlfriend
- What should a man eat every day
- The KI will be oversubscribed in 2019
- Is there a problem of being evil with God
- What affiliate program does Ebates use
- Can you recover from skin cancer
- Which is better city of Miami or Boston
- What is the happiest place on earth
- How can I become a CEO
- What did the ancient Greeks call the Minoans
- What was the reality of the Roman battles
- Is the postal system in Malaysia reliable?
- Scottish independence is possible
- What do most people misunderstand about politics?
- Artificial Christmas trees are new
- Can someone hate shopping
- Do you have cookies
- How harmful are non-alcoholic beverages
- What do you think of Turkish towels
- Renewable energy is cheaper than coal
- What are the disadvantages of online portals
- Drug treatment programs are successful
- How is deforestation contributing to climate change
- How did Singlish come about
- What are the benefits of government regulation
- How is the job for electrical engineering
- How close is Mandarin to Taiwanese