How should a teenager invest their money
How can I start investing as a teenager?
How do you come to be interested in a so-called adult topic as a young person? Maybe I can inspire you with my own story?
When I was almost 10 years old, my parents gave me the audio book “A dog called Money”. When I heard this audio book, I was hooked on this topic. For a short time - as it is at the age of 10. After two weeks, football and Formula 1 were again the focus of my life.
After a year or two I bought my first share (Commerzbank). I was totally convinced of my first share and didn't look left and right. In the end it turned out that this was a huge mistake. Like many people, I made a loss on my first share. But what was much more important:
I started investing.
After the crazy idea of buying Commerzbank, my dad gradually bought me shares of which he was convinced. These also made a good profit. At first he did it all by himself. Later he included me. And at some point I wanted to take part in the decision-making process and then decide all by myself.
When I was 14 years old, I dared a third attempt. I looked for companies that had a "promising" chart. When I look back I can say that it was pretty naive. Tens of thousands of people sit in front of computers every day, doing research around the world and on site, always keeping up to date with the latest business news - and as a 14-year-old I wanted to presume to filter out stocks that should have an extraordinary performance. Pretty naive.
Well, as the saying goes: sometimes a blind hen finds an egg. I actually found some stocks. My dad bought these for me. Of course, I then dealt more intensively with these stocks, as well as with the industries, with chart technology and other valuation options that I hadn't had a clue about until then.
In conversations I noticed that almost none of my buddies were interested in the topic. Many could not save at all. And those who could did it either didn't want to or let their parents do it. And most of these parents were negative about stocks, had had bad experiences with them or were completely unfamiliar with them. Not to mention ETFs and other forms of investment.
And then came the day of the days. As always, I rode home on my bike after school. And all of a sudden, like a flash of inspiration, the thought shot into my head:
I WANT A WEBSITE ABOUT FINANCE !!! ABSOLUTELY!!!
That was the initial spark. First I wanted to clarify whether that might actually be a good idea or whether it was more of a brain fart that would go away as quickly as it had come.
Because I was of course aware that I needed to know a lot more about finances and investment strategies than I do at the moment. So I sat down at my PC and went through the whole Comdirect share selector. According to my assessment criteria, which were not yet so mature at the time, I came up with a total of 90 stocks that I thought were promising and wanted to watch. After two weeks my papa got pointed by this plan and wanted to see the stocks. He looked at them and was surprised that they actually met his criteria.
Of course, that strengthened me - even if I knew there was still a long way to go. In the course of the next few months I did almost nothing else. In retrospect, I am most astonished that my parents gave me this freedom and no longer pushed me to do school work.
I'll save the rest of the story - you can follow the result on the website and on all the developments at Financial Youngsters. But I have to add one more thing: You can never manage such a large project on your own. Without my friends Lukas and Florian - Anna-Lena has just joined them - there would never have been financial youngsters. We complemented each other, discussed for hours, created ideas and then discarded and changed and implemented them. We have invested thousands of hours. Together. In short: Financial Youngsters is a community project.
So, you see: I was lucky. In addition to the team at Financial Youngsters, it was also crucial that my dad was and is well acquainted with finance and investment. But this is not the case with many parents.
This means that as a young person you are not yet legally competent and are not allowed to trade in stocks, you have to convince your parents to invest in stocks. How can that work?
- There is the beautiful sentence: “What you have not internalized, you cannot sell.” That means, if you are not 100% convinced you have no chance of convincing your parents. With the attitude “Oh, yes, stocks could also be very interesting.” You cannot convince your parents and they can put your concern aside with a succinct slogan.
- Show your parents studies from experienced stock traders. I often ask them that the money has to work and shouldn't “rot” in the bank. Show them different developments over the last few decades. There are plenty of graphics for this on the Internet. All of them clearly show how useful it is to invest in stocks.
- Find examples. Usually your parents are still not convinced. Therefore, you should ask your friends, acquaintances and relatives who invests in stocks, etc., and whether they would be willing to share their experiences with your parents. and get you help.
- Obtain your own knowledge. Then you can best discuss it with your parents. Maybe you show them the Financial Youngsters website and talk to them about the suggestions here. We're not a bank advisor - we don't want to sell you anything. It is about you. About your financial decision.
If your first investment doesn't go well and you may lose money, there is absolutely no reason to stop investing. A lot of people feel that their first investment is a failure. You learn from setbacks.
But what should I buy first?
You should buy blue chips first. These are top values that are known everywhere. These are usually not as volatile as other stocks.
At our age, investing in stocks is absolutely essential. Convince yourself of it, acquire knowledge - and then convince your parents. You gain experience on the way. If you want to know more, take a look at the Financial Youngsters website or just write to us.
- Bollywood films are famous especially in Malaysia
- Why is Percy Jackson hot
- What is blog hosting
- How can I clean a marble surface
- Is cloud hosting better in 2020
- What conditions on Mars could make life possible?
- How eligible is Donald Trump in Australia
- What is cubic meter 2
- What's your Christmas routine
- How is Conan OBrien personally
- Why is Senegal so poor
- How is winter in Surakarta Indonesia
- What are the basic beliefs of the Methodist Church
- What is the altar in a church
- How do I date a girl 1
- Which rivers are seasonal rivers
- How can social media drive business growth
- Is digital marketing business profitable
- Why should I be included in TISS
- What American city has a pyramid
- How do I date a girl 1
- To what extent is junk food junk
- What is the full form of BTW
- How can people love one another