What do Singaporeans think of Australians
politics : Australians executed in Singapore
Singapore - The 25-year-old Nguyen Tuong Van, from Vietnam, died on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced. The Australian government spoke of a barbaric act and calls for boycotts against goods from Singapore were raised in public.
Australian Prime Minister John Howard was particularly outraged that the Singapore authorities had refused to give the convict's mother a last hug. She was only allowed to hold his hands through a grate. He was "very disappointed" with the impersonal "clinical" reaction of the authorities, said Howard in an initial reaction after the execution. Howard spoke out against diplomatic sanctions.
"If individuals choose to boycott, well, that's their choice, but I don't encourage them," said Howard. You can't achieve anything with that. Across the country, thousands of people took part in vigils in Australia, a mass in the Church of the Catholic Community in Melbourne to which the executed man belonged, 700 people gathered for a mass and protested the death penalty.
In addition to the Australian government, Pope Benedict XVI. and its predecessor John Paul II. However, Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong refused to postpone the execution on Thursday after meeting Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin.
The Australian was caught in 2002 trying to smuggle 400 grams of heroin from Cambodia to Australia via Singapore. Singapore's drug laws are among the strictest in the world. The death penalty is mandatory for possession of more than 15 grams of heroin or more than 500 grams of cannabis. According to Amnesty International in 2004, almost 420 people have been executed in Singapore since 1991, most of them for drug offenses. Measured by population, more people were executed in the city-state than in any other state in the world. (tso / dpa)
- How can I migrate to Germany
- Why does time only have one dimension?
- Boiling water kills bacteria in your home
- Why should we take mental health seriously
- Which topics were most searched for on Google in 2019
- Why don't I judge other people
- Which country is better Australia or India
- Can we ever travel through light
- History teacher is a good career
- Are blue whales important
- Which Bible verse is being overused
- Why is climate change bad
- Why do people become hopeless
- How common is account sharing on Netflix
- Why is there social media marketing
- What are some examples of human qualities
- Is it getting boring to live in Dubai?
- Where can I publish essays
- How can I stop wanting a friend?
- Is Linux really that good
- Who pays for refugees
- What war was started by killing civilians?
- How would the colonization of Mars work
- Will Android win the tablet market?
- Can you eat an unripe papaya
- How are Dark Souls games made
- What is the future of sales
- What does the Bible mean to you
- How am I supposed to feel now?
- Is the polytropic process quasi-static or not
- Type 1 diabetes is genetic
- Is the USA bigger than China?
- What are some links to frightening websites