Can we take tablets with cold water?
How to take medication correctly
Take a medication in the morning with a mug of coffee or stir the tablet into the muesli to make swallowing easier. That doesn't sound bad, but it can have nasty consequences. Because there are drugs that, in combination with milk, coffee or other beverages, such as grapefruit juice, lose their effectiveness or have undesirable effects. "We physicians then speak of interactions. These can be harmful. It is therefore advisable to always take medication with still tap water. This is neutral, interactions are excluded," explains the Hamburg doctor Dr. Johannes Wimmer.
The right time is also important
The time of ingestion also plays an important role so that the tablets can develop their full effect. However, the information on the package insert is not easy to understand. Before eating, for example, does not mean at lunch just before you take your first bite, but about an hour before. After eating means about two hours after the meal.
This is how it works with swallowing
Many people find it difficult to put a tablet in their mouth and swallow it. If you do it right, it's very easy. Place the tablet on your tongue and put your lips around the neck of a water bottle. Now tilt your head back and take a sip of water, keeping your lips tightly closed around your neck.
It works a little differently with capsules. Take the capsule in your mouth with a large sip of water. Then lay your head on your chest. The capsule automatically moves towards the throat because it floats on the water. Then swallow and tilt your head back. After taking it, drink some more water and take a few steps up and down, then the tablet will definitely slide down.
Posture is also crucial when swallowing pills. Never swallow pills while lying down, otherwise they can get stuck in the esophagus. Stand up, or better yet, stand up. Rinse the tablet or capsule down with plenty of water.
Divide tablets correctly
Sometimes doctors only prescribe a half or a quarter of a tablet. When it comes to sharing, accuracy is key. It is best to use a tablet divider from the pharmacy and divide the tablet using the pre-cut break notches. Important to know: Not all tablets may be divided or even pulverized. Caution should be exercised if a tablet is not scored. In most cases, these are so-called film-coated tablets. They have a special layer that is supposed to protect them from light, moisture or acid. If this layer is damaged, the effectiveness of the drug can be impaired.
Forgot tablet - do not increase dose
Of course, it can happen that you forget to swallow a pill. So what? "Most of the time it's not a drama, because there is a certain level of the substance in the blood," explains Dr. Whimper. "But under no circumstances should you swallow a double dose the next time without prior consultation. This can lead to significant overdoses and problems with heart medication, for example." In principle, it is important to take it regularly. If you have to take several medications, it is best to use a pill sorter from the pharmacy to keep track of which pill is next.
Store medication optimally
Incorrect storage can also impair the effectiveness of medication. Rooms that are humid and warm, such as bathrooms or kitchens, are not suitable. A dry, cool and dark place, such as a drawer, is ideal.
Do you know about medication?
Tablets can help with illnesses, but can also have side effects or be addictive. Therefore you should know exactly why you are taking which medication. Test your knowledge! quiz
This topic in the program:
Visit | 02/20/2017 | 9:00 p.m.
- Should I turn to machine learning?
- School cheating just keeps getting worse
- Is Asus ROG 2 worth buying
- What does the Bible mean to you
- How can I become a top seller
- Who wins Thanos no glove or Darkseid
- Which is the best male infertility hospital?
- Which Quora blog has the most posts
- Has it all happened in reality?
- How does tourism affect the economy?
- How can space have a shape?
- Starves you painfully to death
- 62 is the perfect size for boys
- Did Beethoven ever meet Mozart
- How common are marriage matters
- What is spacetime 2
- Are white men attracted to black women
- Can probiotics make antibiotics less effective?
- How impractical are revolvers as a weapon
- How can I migrate to Germany
- Electricians can be billions
- How do I identify a real Rudraksh
- Can you have too much passion
- Make retired prostitutes good women
- How are weighted cubes made
- Is that the correct grammar
- A personality development class is useful
- Are gifted and talented programs more elite
- Why is sex considered beautiful
- What are good thickeners for raw meals
- What causes friction at the quantum level
- Which sport requires the toughest athleticism
- How much does a 1 liter cost