Which drink screams underage?

Main content

Frequently asked questions and answers about going out

Young people aged 14 and over should stay away until 10 p.m., young people aged 15 and over are allowed to go out until 11 p.m. and the time for young people aged 16 and over is until midnight.

According to the Youth Protection Act, young people under the age of 18 are not allowed to stay at any time in places that are harmful to young people such as brothels, strip clubs or swinger clubs, not even during the specified going out times.

Parents will be fined for violating the going out times. For example, if you allow your child to be alone in a restaurant between 5 a.m. and 11 p.m. without consuming a drink or meal, you will be fined 300 euros. For young people, this value is 200 euros.

Young people are allowed to go to the cinema alone if the film finishes before midnight. If this is not the case, it is imperative that you are accompanied by your parents or a guardian.



What are the exceptions to the age limits?

The others are allowed to "always" longer. Who does not know that? The children or young people want to go out with their friends in the evening and allegedly everyone else is allowed to stay away longer than your daughter or son.

The Youth Protection Act only applies in public. Therefore, there are no age limits for any private event or meeting, as these are subject to the supervision of parents or adults who, for example, organize a family celebration or birthday party. This is also the case if rooms are rented in a restaurant for this purpose.

How can parents practically regulate going out times?

You should note that as parents you can restrict the legal requirements, but not expand them. If possible, you should make amicable arrangements and justify prohibitions and restrictions that are appropriate to your age and situation. In doing so, you should take into account and strengthen the increasing personal responsibility of your children, but also discuss your fears and fears.

The time limits are intended to protect children and young people

With the possibility of traveling beyond the time limits in the company of the father or mother or a person appointed by them, one wants to ensure that they do not dive into the "night life" unsupervised, but that risks are minimized or avoided by a responsible companion.
In this way, the children and young people can learn without damage and grow into self-responsibility. In addition, when exercising custody, you as parents should make sure that you are always informed as far as possible about where your child is and that you maintain control over residence and coming home.

Please also read our information on exercising custody.

What if there is an argument about going out?

These fights are important, unfortunately they have to be. Children in puberty look for an argument. But you also want their care. By setting limits, parents are showing their child: “I care about you because you are important to me!”. Giving in does not help the children - on the contrary: With too much freedom children are not only overwhelmed, but also get the feeling: “My parents are not interested in me. They don't care about me. "
Therefore: Be prepared for conflict and also show your love by remaining steadfast. Tell your child that you are worried and that you don't want anything to happen to them. And that is why you want to know where it is and who it is with.

How does my child get home?

"I can already find someone to drive me". It is best not to get involved in such agreements. It is best to clarify this beforehand. There are many useful ways that your teen can get home as well as possible:

  • The best thing to do is to pick up your child (and their friends) yourself at the agreed time. Or you can take turns with other parents when you pick them up.
  • It also makes sense that your son or daughter always has a wallet with taxi money with them.
  • If there are clubs or disco in rural areas, there is often the option of ordering collective taxis or disco buses, which are cheaper.
  • Often car pools are also formed, in which, however, it is imperative to ensure that the drivers are absolutely responsible and stay sober. You should also be careful with novice drivers. The responsibility of young people to one another should also be appealed to here. Because carelessness, overestimation of oneself and showing off behavior, most of the often fatal accidents happen to young people in this context. In order to minimize this risk, the police offer clarification and safety training in many places. You can also contact your youth welfare office for any of these questions, which will be happy to provide you with information and advice.

What should I do if my child doesn't stick to agreements?

If your child almost always keeps to agreements, then you as parents can turn a blind eye in individual cases. So there is an exception to the so categorical going out regulation. Even if your teen comes home a quarter of an hour late, it's no big deal.
However, parents should also discuss with their child what the consequences will be if they fail to adhere to the agreements. Then the parents have to take action: For example, you can pick up your child personally at the disco if they are not home on time. What if he or she is half an hour late twice in a row? Then you, as parents, should definitely consider whether you should not cancel the exit for the coming weeks or at least reduce it.

What is a "mother's note"?

A written power of attorney from the parents ("mother's note") is recommended as proof of this educational assignment, which is newly created for each event or night out. This should include the names of the minor, his or her parents and the person in charge. In addition, it should be stated for which event the power of attorney is used. It is also useful to provide a telephone number at which the parents can be reached if necessary. "Blank authorizations" (signed by the parents without naming a specific supervisor, in which the young people then enter the name of the supervisor on the specific evening) are not recognized because they do not meet the purpose of the regulation.

The control of these age limits and the acceptance of powers of attorney is the responsibility of the landlords, disco operators and organizers. However, the responsibility of the landlords ends at the exit door, so that you, as parents, should definitely make sure that you get home safely.

What is meant by a “parenting officer”?

It is often inappropriate and not always possible for you to accompany your child to the disco or to the meeting places with friends. Therefore, the law also provides for the possibility of being accompanied by an adult who, on behalf of the parents, takes on responsibility and supervision during going out (so-called parenting person).

Ideally, these are older siblings, other relatives or friends of yours who enjoy your trust. It is therefore important that there must be a certain relationship of authority between the companion and your child.

With the so-called parenting assignment, you should therefore note the following:

  • The parenting officer must be of legal age.
  • The person in charge must actually be able to fulfill the educational mandate and the related supervisory duties. So she has to be able to guide and direct your child. So you shouldn't drink alcohol excessively or be away from your child for a long time. After all, she is responsible for ensuring that, for example, further provisions of the Youth Protection Act, such as the alcohol and smoking ban, are observed.
  • The adult partner of a minor, on the other hand, cannot exercise a parenting mandate. After all, there is no authority in relationships, but rather a partnership. The same generally applies to the commissioning of friends, comrades or acquaintances of your child.
  • With regard to the question of up to how many children / young people can be supervised by one person, the local conditions and the type of event must be taken into account. So z. For example, a parenting officer can supervise more children at a concert with seats than when visiting a large discotheque that may even be divided into several areas or levels.

Please choose carefully who you entrust with this really responsible task.

How long can children and young people go out?

For initial orientation:

  • Children over 14 should stay away until ten o'clock at most,
  • Young people aged 15 and over until 11 a.m.
  • Young people from 16 years until twelve o'clock.

Of course, many discos don't open until late - but a 16-year-old or a 16-year-old has no business there at two o'clock in the morning.

What about the legal regulations?

The Youth Protection Act clearly regulates which minors or minors are allowed to stay when and where:

Children and young people under the age of 16 are only allowed to go to a restaurant (e.g. pub, bar, discotheque) if

  • they only want to eat or drink something there between 5 a.m. and 11 p.m.,
  • they are accompanied by their father or mother or by an adult appointed by them (so-called parenting officer, see above),
  • they are traveling or
  • they go to an event organized by a youth welfare organization (e.g. Catholic rural youth, church youth group, district youth association).

Young people aged 16 and over are only allowed in one restaurant

  • in the time from 5 a.m. to midnight,
  • between midnight and 5 a.m., if they are accompanied by their parents or by an adult appointed by them (so-called parenting officer, see above),
  • when they are traveling or
  • if they go to an event organized by a youth welfare organization (see above).
  • It is forbidden for all children and young people to stay in a night bar or in a similar entertainment establishment.

Children and young people under 16 years of age are only allowed to attend a dance event (e.g. disco),

  • if they are accompanied by their father or mother or by an adult appointed by them (so-called parenting officer, see above) or
  • they go to an event organized by a youth welfare organization (see above), a traditional or art evening (but children only until 10 p.m. and young people under 16 years only until midnight).

Young people aged 16 and over are only allowed to attend one dance event

  • to 24 clock,
  • after midnight only if they are accompanied by their mother or father or by an adult appointed by them (so-called parenting officer, see above).

For certain events, the youth welfare office can narrow down or extend these legally stipulated times or impose other requirements. Therefore, at concerts, larger club and other celebrations or open-air events, you should find out which regulations are in place in individual cases.

Stay in places that are harmful to minors:

Is generally forbidden for all children and young people. This refers to places that have a high risk potential, such as a brothel, a street prostitute or a drug meeting place.

Further information

Parents letters

This topic can be found in the letters from parents ...