How can I create my website
Option 1: With a website builder
Step 1: choose a website builder
Many people use a website builder for their website. Wix has well over 3 million paying subscribers and Shopify over 1.2 million.
Why is that? With website builders, anyone can build a website, no matter the level of technical knowledge.
Website builders take care of the technical jargon so you can focus on the design and content. Some use design templates for this, others use drag-and-drop interfaces. Some even use artificial intelligence to create websites for you.
Choosing the right website builder is very important. Different kits are geared towards different needs. In order to create a website that you are happy with, it is important to choose the right builder.
Which Website Builder Is Right For You?
What's the best way to build a website? Which website builder should I choose? What's the easiest way to build a website? These are questions we are asked every day. There are so many questions and so many website builders. We understand it's not that easy.
Our team conducts user tests, surveys, and examines hundreds of features in dozens of products to give you the broadest possible overview of the market. We want you to find exactly the right kit. Here is a small overview of the currently best options for website creation.
We have to add that the kits listed above are not the only ones that come into consideration. By far not. These vendors performed best in our tests, but in the end it comes down to your specific needs. WordPress.com is perfect for blogs, for example, and Shopify is ahead in eCommerce.
Make it clear what your priorities are, take a look at our comparison chart and reviews, and pick two or three kits that suit you. When you have made an initial selection, you can start testing.
Additional information to help you find the ideal website builder for you:
Step 2: Sign up for the right package
Once you've decided on a website builder, you'll need to sign up for a package. Website builders usually offer several packages. Websites have different requirements. Packages ensure that you don't pay for things that you don't even need.
This is a huge advantage of website builders over web developers. A web developer can charge between € 250 and € 1,000 just for the adaptation of design templates, a completely new website often costs many times that. If you use a construction kit, a complete website will cost you no more than a coffee.
Which package you choose depends on your needs. Do you need a website for a portfolio to showcase your art? Then Wix Basic for € 4.08 a month is probably enough. Are you looking to create a multi-employee website for your business that will attract thousands of visitors? Then the VIP package for € 24.50 a month will probably be better.
Can I create a website for free?
This is possible, but has certain disadvantages. Free website builder accounts lack many important features. You can't use custom domains, and your free website will have Website Builder advertising. If you just want to learn more about building a website, take a look at the free options. If you want a professional, multi-feature website, you have to spend a few dollars a month.
Take a look at what the simplest premium website builder packages can offer you:
* Squarespace is the only builder that doesn't have a free plan. A small monthly fee has to be paid for the functions. However, it does offer a 14-day free trial so you can try the offer out before you decide.
Additional information on website builder costs:
Step 3: choose a domain name
The domain name is the part of the URL, i.e. the long address in the search bar of your browser, that identifies a website, in this case your website. You can register the name separately on sites like GoDaddy and Namecheap, but website builders do that for you when you sign up with them. At least in the beginning, most do this for free, some charge a small extra charge.
The domain name determines to a large extent how a website is perceived on the Internet, so think about it carefully. Here are a few rules of thumb;
- The domain name should be relevant. It sounds obvious, but it's worth mentioning. Make sure the domain matches what visitors see on your website. For example, if your business is called Vintage Pantalons ™, you shouldn't call the domain futuristic flipflops.net.
- The domain name should be short or at least easy to remember. If you want people to remember your website, don't choose a long domain. It looks silly and no one will remember the name.
- The domain name should not contain numbers. In general, it is best to avoid numbers in domain names. It mostly looks unprofessional and makes it even harder to remember the name.
- Check that the name really doesn't exist yet. There are millions of websites out there already. This means that millions of domains are already taken. Check beforehand whether your domain is getting enough attention.
Once you have decided on a domain, simply register it as part of the registration process with your chosen website builder. For less comprehensive packages, renewal fees of around € 10 per year may apply. The domain is usually included in the premium packages.
What happens if you want to switch providers with your unique domain name?
We hear this question often. Do not worry. If you buy a domain name through a website builder or separately, it is yours and you can easily take it with you.
Step 4: select a design template
Design templates provide a framework for your website. This is how you can get a website that looks great without the hassle of hiring a designer. Design templates determine the color scheme, the appearance of the homepage header and menu bar, and the width of your website's content. So you should think twice about which one to choose.
Regardless of which website builder you choose, you always get an extensive selection of design templates. The better the package, the more design templates.
Here are some of the common categories you can choose from when building your website:
- Online stores
Check out different design templates and see which one works best. Choose exactly the right design template from the multitude of design templates.
Step 5: adapt the design template
As mentioned in the last step, design templates only provide a framework. Since many websites are now built with website builders, there is a good chance that there will be some websites with the same framework. So you should at least fill the selected design template with individual content. And to really stand out, you need to make adjustments.
What does customizing a website involve? You decide for the most part yourself. Website builders are very flexible these days. Customization can include:
- Add new pages to the navigation
- Change the size, colors and fonts of buttons
- Add new items such as contact forms and menus
- Edit the images in your gallery
- Choose a different color palette
- Embed or link social media
Free trials almost always give you a chance to experiment with design templates. This will give you a feel for how easy it is to customize without spending a dollar.
Step 6: preview and test your website
Once you've chosen and customized your design template, you probably can't wait to get it out.
Always review changes on your website before you post them. Make sure everything works the way you want it to. You should definitely pay attention to:
- Are the spelling and grammar correct?
- Do all the buttons in the menu work?
- Does your website have a purpose?
- Is the formatting consistent?
- Does the website work on desktopand Cell phone screens?
- Does it load quickly?
- Is it optimized for search engines?
You have already achieved so much. Take a closer look at everything. It would be a shame to publish an unfinished website after all the effort.
How does the site preview work?
Website builders make previewing easy. Usually, all you have to do is hit the Preview button in Editor mode to see what your website would look like. Most of the time there is a toggle function so you can see if the website works on different sized screens.
Top tip: Don't just test your website yourself. You would miss some mistakes. Get a new perspective. Invite family members and friends to test the site and give them feedback.
Step 7: publish!
When all of this is done, the grand finale comes. Let's go over the steps that you should have checked off before you hit publish:
- Choose a website builder
- Sign up for the right package
- Choose a domain
- Select a design template
- Customize design template
- Preview and test your website
All done? Wonderful! Click on “Publish”! Your website is now online for everyone to see. Of course, you can still make other changes, but the most important thing is done. Very exciting.
Anyone can learn how to build a website, and it doesn't cost anything. Try out a few construction sets and be surprised. Perhaps you will create something wonderful in the process.
- Is the voltage regulator an induction regulator
- Are play chairs bad for your back?
- What is a penny sack
- Who is the target market of Google+
- What are different types of Thai food
- How can turtles be in the world
- Hate girls in Europe thin men
- Can energy exist without spacetime
- What if a person knows everything
- How much are Google employees paid
- Which US Domestic International hospitals use Cerner
- Where do you learn guest blogging
- Did Japan ever use radars during World War II
- What cigarettes colored smoke
- Why are people afraid of unions
- Why should I learn to play chess?
- How do people win in office politics
- How much can the average woman deadlift
- Make casinos cash money orders
- What is 6 2
- Which is better Kotak Securities or Zerodha
- Would you rather kill or be killed
- Which Indian startups are registered in Singapore
- What is the greatest technological innovation in health