What makes life worth living 1
Kärntner Kirchenzeitung - "Sunday"
Words that get under your skin and stories that touch the essentials of life: This is how the participants experienced the panel discussion "What makes life worth living?" On June 2nd at the "Holiday In" in Villach. The four interlocutors and moderator Gerald Heschl, editor-in-chief of the Kärntner Kirchenzeitung, succeeded in gaining a great deal of depth right from the start: It is not success alone that makes you happy, not appearance, nor health, as important as it may seem.
"The worst poverty is loneliness and the feeling of being ignored and unwanted," Isabella Scheiflinger, lawyer for people with disabilities, quoted Blessed Mother Teresa right from the start, and also referred to happiness research: Health alone is not important, To be happy - we all know people who are healthy and wealthy, but not happy -, friendship, relationship and much more are what make the overall quality of life.
This was clearly demonstrated by a member of the National Council, Franz-Joseph Huainigg, radiating joy and satisfaction, who evidently leads a life worth living despite paralysis and a ventilator. He encouraged people to accept but also to overcome boundaries and, above all, warned against judging the quality of life from the outside. For a “healthy person” it could seem as if a life with certain restrictions is not worth living. Using the example of a motorcyclist who had had an accident and was subsequently paraplegic, it showed how the desire for a quick death can transform into a will to live. Self-determination, dignity, meaningful tasks and the opportunity to help other people: If this is possible or made possible, life is experienced as worth living despite the impairments.
Olympic champion Matthias Mayer described his experiences of how positive thinking and mental strength help - together with the support of family and friends - to deal with falls and setbacks and to return to the top of the world strengthened.
“Life is not what happens to us, but what we make of it,” said Johannes Staudacher, a memorial chaplain. In doing so, we often have a lot more leeway than we suspect. At the funeral, many said they had done everything possible and yet the loved one had passed away. But how valuable it is to know that there is still something you can do, if only to say goodbye, be it just to hold your hand. “Even if I can only look after the grave, I can live with it: Because I am crossing a line. I couldn't prevent death, but I can give the deceased a beautiful grave. ”Life is always torn between powerlessness and being able to do something. Finding ways together seems to him to be the most sustainable way.
The interlocutors agreed that it is belief that enables the greatest transgression of boundaries: death, too, loses its threat before it, and it gives life a new quality. Which was also underlined by remarkable comments from the audience. Which wish you would like to express, which is most urgently burning under your nails, invited moderator Gerald Heschl to the final round: "I dream of a society that recognizes diversity as an opportunity and benefits from it," summarized Isabella Scheiflinger. "That is not too afraid of the one that hurts because life also hurts, with all the happiness that can exist," added Johannes Staudacher, and Matthias Mayer and Franz-Joseph Huainigg expressed the dream of in to be able to be part of such a society.
Many thanks to the Holiday Inn for the courteous support that made the event accessible!
A joint event of the "Pastoral Care for People with Disabilities" with the Deanery Villach, the Diocesan Sports Association, the Catholic Academic Association, the Catholic Educational Organization, the Catholic Family Organization, the Catholic Women's Movement, the church newspaper "Sonntag" and the magazine "Schatten & Licht".
- What is the name of the study of space
- What are common foods in your country?
- Obama could speak Indonesian
- What happens to human consciousness after death
- What are the applications of conditional probability
- What is steam cleaning
- Does Ginkgo Biloba have side effects
- Electricians can be billions
- Which country has the most dangerous drivers?
- How do you choose a good bike
- How can gay go straight
- Is Uber Company Profitable
- 20 days of water fasting are dangerous
- How does one not get to superficial conversations?
- Why are Israel and Russia unlikely allies?
- How do the British see the Chinese
- What is topological data analysis
- Where do you outsource website creation
- Is it okay not to know everything
- Why am I an anti-national
- What are the pregnancy vitamins
- What are Hilbert rooms for laypeople
- Is China a liberal country?
- How to make gunpowder
- How can the space-time continuum bend?
- Is a lake containing volcanic acid really dangerous?
- Fast food is very common in America
- Who is your favorite chess grandmaster?
- Will health insurance increase in 2020?
- What are principal tensions
- What is the time of your life
- How does Instagram use Django
- Why did Harry hate Draco
- What is promotional item