In which desert is it snowing
Children's knowledge Snow in the Sahara desert
At the moment the weather is kind of crazy: it is mild here, in the south it is snowing.
Ain Sefra - These days there was an unusual spectacle in the Sahara: It was snowing! However, the snowflakes only reached the ground in higher regions in Morocco and Algeria, namely in parts of the Atlas Mountains from an altitude of 900 meters. There, as reported by local media and weather experts, the temperatures temporarily dropped to minus five degrees. And in the city of Ain Sefra, populated by around 35,000 people - it is located in Algeria not far from the border with Morocco a good thousand meters above sea level - even 40 centimeters of snow are said to have fallen. But the white splendor did not last long: As soon as it got warmer during the day, it thawed quickly.
In December 2016, too, snow fell there - but far less than now. Before that, the weather experts report, the last time a half-hour snow storm covered the red sand dunes with a white layer of snow in February 1979. This shows how seldom it snows in the Sahara desert. But that doesn't mean that it can't get bitterly cold there at night. In winter it is not that rare for temperatures to drop below freezing point. And even in summer, when it gets 40 or even 45 degrees during the day, the thermometer can drop to ten degrees at night. This is because the ground cools down quickly because there are no clouds that could reflect the heat back. In addition, rocks and sand do not store heat as well as bodies of water, for example.
But why was it so cold in the Sahara right now? This has to do with the freezing temperatures on the east coast of America and with a high pressure area with quite mild temperatures in Europe. This enabled a rarely occurring cold-weather front to advance far south. It brought freezing temperatures and unusual snowfalls to Spain, Portugal and North Africa. Therefore, Spain also had to struggle with a severe onset of winter. The result was a huge traffic chaos.
- What is the best film intro
- Will meet Arya Stark Cersei again
- What is special about Harvard?
- What causes numbness in my upper arm
- Would you describe yourself as weird
- How stressful it is to be a medical student
- How do you create intellectual property
- Why do all delivery drivers wear shorts
- How can a healthy person get depression
- How many centimeters are in 50 meters
- What is life like without a gallbladder
- What should I see in Langkawi
- Which country is the world leader in obesity
- Can companies advertise on Quora
- How can war improve a country's economy
- Government employees really aren't paid
- How is the school in Singapore
- Why do I feel all this emptiness
- What is the advantage of the WordPress plugin
- How fearless is Donald Trump
- Why is volume measured in cubic units
- What is supervision
- Are there openly gay professional skateboarders
- History teacher is a good career