What is a scalar field 1
Gradient, divergence and rotation
- Scalar and vector fields
- Nabla operator
Scalar and vector fieldsA field is generally understood to mean a space in which any physical quantity is assigned to each point P (x; y; z).
If it is an undirected quantity (scalar), then one speaks of a scalar field. E.g .: temperature, density, pressure. This paper uses the notation f (x, y, z). (In theory, of course, a different number of variables is also possible.)
If it is a directed quantity (vector), then one speaks of a vector field. E.g .: flow, gravity, magnetic lines, electric field. This paper uses the notation
used. (A different number of components or variables is possible.)
Nabla operatorThe Nabla operator is a formal vector whose components consist of the partial differential operators.
(Analogous for other dimensions)
gradientLet f (x, y, z) be a scalar field, the gradient of f is a vector which points in the direction of the greatest change in f at point P (x; y; z) and whose magnitude is equal to this greatest change.
The gradient is thus normal to the level surface through P. If a potential field has been given, the gradient always points in the direction in which a particle would move if it were brought into the field at P.
divergenceThe divergence is for a vector fieldv calculated and is itself a scalar. For example, it indicates for a flow field whether more liquid flows out of an infinitesimal volume, P (x; y; z) than flows into it.
If the divergence is positive, there is a source in P; if it is negative, there is a sink in P. If the divergence is 0, then just as much liquid flows into the volume as it flows out.
rotationThe rotation is for a vector fieldv computes, and is itself a vector.
If you consider an infinitesimal volume in the vector field, the rotation vector indicates how strongly and about which axis of rotation the volume rotates. If the rotation is 0, then the vector field is free of eddies.
back to partial derivative and total differential
further to the Jacobi matrix
Mathematical basics overview
- What is the Jewish interpretation of Isaiah 42
- When did the Slavic population become more atheistic?
- Who had great success with SMERGERS com
- Why does light bend due to gravity
- What's wrong with being a hedonist
- Can electromagnets be used to detect submarines?
- What weakens the immune system
- Has it all happened in reality?
- Are women drawn to the build of a strong man?
- Why are my muscles growing so slowly
- Which accent colors go with silver gray
- Is it illegal to post fake reviews?
- Democracy means something
- Why is combinatorics so difficult
- Eat cancer symptoms can come and go
- What food can not be consumed
- How real is the TV show survivor
- When does a company pay dividends
- Web development is a respectable career
- What is the best call center company
- Should I watch over my child's friends?
- How many songs does Hatsune Miku have
- What are the Most Precious Archie Comics
- What are the types of kidney cancer
- Are law students unhappy
- Do therapists really care about their clients?
- India's best bike for a lakh rupee
- Can the twin paradox actually happen?
- What can I buy for $ 0
- Is life a worthy journey
- How common is circumcision in Puerto Rico?
- Has anyone seen shadow people
- What's killing your Quora experience
- Why does NASA use Windows