How does Childish Gambino stay artistic?
US music awardWhy Childish Gambino the Grammys skipped Has
Childish Gambino won the Grammy Awards for Best Song of the Year. His song "This Is America" prevailed against tracks by Drake and Kendrick Lamar and SZA, among others. Still, Childish Gambino was not present.
Childish Gambino was the first rapper to receive the award for best song at the Grammy Gala in Los Angeles on Sunday. A sensation! Especially because the music video for "This Is America", which also won the award for best video, is full of metaphors about racism and gun violence. But the musician and actor, whose real name goes by the name Donald Glover, didn't come to the show. Markus Finger from the hip-hop label Rootdown suspects that staying away could be a statement.
"That is in the realm of speculation. But I could imagine that this is a statement."
Childish Gambino is complex and socially critical in his artistic expression, so his absence fits this image, says Finger. Perhaps he wanted to point out grievances again, which he also addresses in his music.
Hip-hop has hit the Grammys
Beyoncé, Jay-Z and Kendrick Lamar didn't make it to the Grammys either, although some of them were nominated. Markus Finger says regarding Childish Gambino that he may not have felt welcome. Hip-hop acts would have been nominated, but the Grammys wouldn't have been particularly open to hip-hop culture. According to Finger, the content of this music would have been considered irrelevant at the Grammys for years.
"It's a time-honored award that wasn't very open to this genre of rap music."
Markus Finger says that the organizers of the award ceremony probably nominated rappers like Drake or Kendrick Lamar partly for economic reasons, but it was probably no longer possible to turn a blind eye to the fact that hip-hop is a globally important musical culture.
More on the subject:
- Ladies first at the Grammy Awards | Alicia Keys, Lady Gaga, Janelle Monáe, Jennifer Lopez, Diana Ross, Dolly Parton and former US First Lady Michelle Obama - they all made it to the Grammys this year.
- From gospel to hip-hop | The slaves brought their music with them to America. They packed their suffering in gospels, which still have an effect today, explains the music historian Wolfgang Rathert in the lecture in the lecture hall.
- "Awaken my love" | Donald Glover is Childish Gambino, and the man is an excellent musician. Now he's coming up with "Awaken my love", a soul record with touches of gospel, psychedelic and electro.
- What is Experts123
- Why chewing tobacco is worse than smoking
- Make grade 10 grades important for life
- What is an exhaust steam turbine
- What is semi-annual compounding
- What are hot technologies in demand?
- Why was the Roman army so successful?
- What are the different definitions of education
- How can I describe the normal distribution diagram
- Democrats hate Chinese
- What do Mexicans think of Mexican Americans
- Which countries are under mixed economy
- Heavy metal is just a teenage trend
- Is Austria safe?
- What are some examples of distorted music
- What is corporate housing
- How does innovation affect the economy?
- Define a strange person
- What are the best learning resources available
- Where do you learn guest blogging
- What is the faculty of 2
- Many East Germans miss East Germany
- Has anyone worn latex leggings to work?
- What are the biggest misunderstandings about MBBS