What does the stoic mean
The adjective stoic today means generally "indifferent", "imperturbable". It describes people who cannot be disturbed by anything, are always in control and are largely free of emotional fluctuations.
The term came into German through Latin stoicus, i.e. "concerning the Stoa". The Stoa, in turn, was one of the four great schools of philosophy in ancient Greece. Its founder, Zenon von Kition, first met with his students in the stoa poikile, the painted hypostyle hall opposite the Acropolis in Athens.
In addition to other aspects, the stoic teaching also with ethical questions and normatively specifies the striving for ataraxia, apatheia and self-sufficiency, i.e. for emotional equanimity, imperturbability towards negative events and self-sufficiency. The current meaning in German usage emerges from the ethical model of the Stoa.
Audio sample: Listen to the pronunciation
Phonetic transcription (IPA):[ˈƩtoːɪʃ]
His stoic Quiet was remarkable. Nothing seemed to throw him off balance.
With more stoic She accepted the accusations on her face.
Grammar and inflection
|stoic||more stoic||most stoic|
|Feminine||stoic||more stoic||more stoic||stoic|
|Masculine||the stoic one||of the stoic||the stoic||the stoic|
|Feminine||the stoic||the stoic||the stoic||the stoic|
|neuter||the stoic||of the stoic||the stoic||the stoic|
|Plural||the stoic||the stoic||the stoic||the stoic|
|Masculine||not a stoic one||not a stoic one||not a stoic one||not a stoic one|
|Feminine||not a stoic one||none stoic||none stoic||not a stoic one|
|neuter||not a stoic one||not a stoic one||not a stoic one||not a stoic one|
|Plural||not stoic||none stoic||not a stoic one||not stoic|
Subscribe for free and learn a new foreign word every day
Receive the word of the day every morning with our free newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time. Your data will not be passed on to third parties for advertising purposes.
More interesting words:
hedonistic - content: meaning pronunciation usage examples increase ...
filigree - content: meaning pronunciation usage examples increase and ...
Habitus - The noun habitus generally means "appearance". The...
trivial - content: meaning pronunciation usage examples increase ...
intrinsic - content: meaning pronunciation usage examples increase and ...
- Treehouse provides a good learning experience
- How much does Clickfunnels cost per month
- Is Australia dangerous because of insects
- Why is Indonesia behind Malaysia
- Vietnamese girls like Chinese men
- Are trace products effective
- Uses Yodle Wordpress
- Is quantum mechanics true science or fantasy
- Where can I find Norwegian churches online
- Pee changes the body temperature
- What is nationalism about?
- What will happen after the technological singularity
- What were Einstein's discoveries
- What do you think of renegades
- How much can the average woman deadlift
- Is someone playing Clash of Clans
- What is Halal
- Do women prefer sex or masturbation
- Why is life in Canada so depressing
- What is a harmonet in music?
- How can salt cause diabetes
- How can you make money with Pornhub
- How big is a caliber
- In LGBTQ, where is H for homosexuality