Which are the newest social bookmarking sites
Social bookmarks are bookmarks on the Internet. They enable users to save interesting links together on a server and exchange them with one another.
How social bookmarking services work 
In order to be able to create a social bookmark, a free registration is required for most of the services. As soon as the account has been opened, individual URLs can be saved as bookmarks. For this purpose, in addition to the URL, a title and other information such as tags are entered into the input mask. After the social bookmark has been saved, it is also available to all other users worldwide.
This gives the websites that are saved in social bookmarking services a particularly high level of visibility on the web. Well-known services included Delicious, Digg, Mister Wong and Yigg, for example. However, some of the services are no longer available or have since been devoted to other business models.
Functions of social bookmarking services 
Social bookmarking services bring with them a multitude of functions that users can profitably use for organizing their own bookmarks and obtaining information:
- Add, delete, comment and tag bookmarks
- View and search other users' bookmarks
- Transfer of interesting bookmarks to your own link collection
- Access lists of the latest or most popular social bookmarks
- Track new bookmarks for specific keywords via RSS feeds
- Organization of users in topic-specific groups
- Import and export of created bookmarks
Benefits of social bookmarks
The great advantage of social bookmarks is the availability of the stored information on any computer with internet access. QR codes can also be used for bookmarking. The stored information can be called up from anywhere in the world. The security of the data is always ensured, so that all bookmarks are retained in the event of a defect on your own computer. Another advantage is the ability to access specific information quickly. Searching in search engines often produces several million hits. It is difficult to filter out the relevant information here.
In social bookmarking services, on the other hand, users recommend websites that contain high-quality information. This allows you to quickly find the source of information you need when doing research. Another advantage is that the services are usually available free of charge and can be used without any limit to the number of bookmarks.
Example Delicious 
Delicious is a social bookmarking service that was particularly popular in the early 2000s. Users can use it to save so-called “bookmarks”, i.e. links to websites, in order to manage them as a separate list with important Internet addresses like an address book. In addition, the portal works like a social network and users can view the profiles of other users and take over bookmarks.
In 2003 the web developer Joshua Schachter started its own bookmarking service called del.icio.us. He was one of the first to set up such a web application. With more than a million users, the company was one of the largest of its kind in 2006. Due to the success of the bookmarking platform, many more projects of this type were founded in quick succession.
Just before the turn of the year in 2006, del.icio.us, as the service was then called, was launched by Yahoo! accepted. In 2008 the website was relaunched and from then on was only called Delicious. Just four years later, the search engine provider Delicious sold again and in 2011 the YouTube founders took over the bookmarking service.
To use Delicious, the user must be registered and logged in. Bookmarks can either be saved via a browser plug-in or directly via your own account. Today there are also apps for smartphones and tablets that can be used to save Internet addresses even when surfing on the move. Delicious also allows you to import links via Facebook or Google+. Bookmarks can also be transferred from browsers such as Firefox to Delicious and vice versa.
In the late 1990s, browsers were equipped with fewer functions than they are today. Browsers like Fireball or Netscape Navigator couldn't save bookmarks. This meant that users had no direct means of saving and managing Internet addresses. With the establishment of bookmarking services, it was finally possible to call up your bookmarks wherever there was a computer with an Internet connection. Delicious continues to work this way to this day.
In contrast to a few years ago, search engine optimizers can no longer use Delicious to build links, but they still benefit from the link hubs that popular users have created on Delicious on the topic of SEO. In addition, the platform offers further advantages in everyday life:
- easy exploration of interesting links, which are bundled in subject areas
- Central archiving of interesting, found links that you want to find again later
- Summary of found links and offers in newsfeeds
- Possibility of "data backup" for TwitterTweets via Delicious
- Use as a link list (e.g. in blogs)
Importance for search engine optimization 
As part of search engine optimization, social bookmarks offer the possibility of establishing links. Every user can set any number of links here. Initially, links to a website that came from social bookmarking services were given great importance as a direct recommendation from a user. If social bookmarks are used to a natural extent in addition to other link building measures, this can make sense.
However, social bookmarking services were quickly exploited as a means of spam. So there were an excessive number of backlinks to websites, which meant that the actual benefits of the services took a back seat. The operators reacted by setting nofollow attributes in order to become less interesting for search engine optimizers. Little by little, countless social bookmark portals were set up solely for the purpose of improving the ranking of their own websites in the SERPs by setting bookmarks. Special social bookmarking tools made it possible to enter the same URL on numerous different portals.
However, Google also recognized the development that social bookmarking services were taking relatively quickly and created Google Bookmarks in 2005. The outgoing links of these portals were therefore devalued by Google. As a result, social bookmarks have largely lost their appeal for search engine optimization.
- ↑ Mister Wong is restarting as a fashion portal. Start-up scene. Retrieved on November 14, 2013.
- ↑ Wikipedia entry on the founder of del.icio.us. Retrieved on December 5, 2013.
- ↑ Social Bookmarks. MyWebsolution.de. Retrieved on November 14, 2013.
Web links 
- Which countries still use corporal punishment?
- Why are bananas imported into Japan
- Why is Local SEO your best friend
- What is typically Austrian
- Why do people like 80s music
- Every city in China is Chinatown
- How do I create a blog online
- What is the most luxurious airport
- Do you want to invest in Bitcoin?
- What are the best investment news sites
- How important is passion for life
- How do you eat salmon sashimi
- What is the poorest state in Malaysia
- If 6x 5 47 what is x
- How stealthy submarines are these days
- Which is more powerful intelligence or wisdom
- Why are planets so far away
- What are the best data cleansing tools
- How did Germany become a totalitarian state
- What is Operations Research
- Should I go to Chicago or Detroit?
- What problem is Etsy com
- Why are religions important
- Why are some people physically weak